Monday, February 10, 2014

My French Shop Project, Part Four

Mom and I did get the chance to go to the dollhouse shop over last weekend. Unfortunately, they were all sold out of the iron railing I  needed. Luckily, the shop assistant remembered that they'd recently used the same railings on a customer's dollhouse. She scrounged around in the scrap bin, and managed to find quite a few good-sized lengths of railing for me. After patching the pieces together, I had more than enough for my shop.
I only used the top half of the fencing for the shop roof. I first sprayed the railings with flat black paint, to prime them. Then, I used the special iron  paint, which comes with a rusting solution to create a realistic iron finish. Unfortunately, I think the paint is getting old, since I couldn't get much rust to form. After reapplying the solution several times with little effect, I finally resorted to my watercolor pencils.


 
The iron fencing to the side of the door still needs to be painted. This was one of the trickiest parts of the whole project. Since the shop is front-opening, I needed to make the railing removable. I forgot to take a photo of it, but the fence is held in place with straight pins inserted into holes in the base.
I also managed to find a piece of plastic large enough to cover the window.  The "lead" munions are made of thin strips of plastic, which I painted black, then drybrushed with silver paint. Now that the window is in place, I'll probably adjust the shelf spacing.

I glued one of the pigeons over the door. Normally, I prefer to use sticky wax rather than glue to hold this type of thing in place, but I didn't want to chance it falling off.  

 
 
I'm still adding leaves to the rose bush. It's starting to look nice and full, but it still has a way to go.  Since adding the fencing to the roof, I'm rethinking my plans to cover it with climbing roses. I was worried that the plain iron would be too stark, but seeing it together I don't think it needs the vines. I'd still love to add some rose vines eventually, but I'm in no hurry.
 

 
 
 
The shop is getting close to being finished, but I'm really milking the finishing details.  The big elements are pretty much all in place, but I still have lots of ideas for little details, from buttercups to butterflies.
You can see the shop's progress in parts one, two, and three.

13 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth,
    The shop is gorgeous! you did such a fantastic job with the exterior finishes and ageing. It is already so charming. Excellent!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many great details. It looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking very good, taking your time is working well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful piece of work and I love all of what you have done Eliza. The iron railing on top appears to command attention and reads just like a crown. I just hope it does not steal the attention from the front window. The color scheme is quite enchanting and what could be more French and romantic than roses!? :))

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a very beautiful little shop. the details are just stunning :)

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! There is a lot of 'eye-candy' on this little piece. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The railing looks wonderful!

    I don't think it needs roses but perhaps some bits of ivy? Just something to go with the little bit of green on the pavement on the side...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice shop, you did a great job with the iron railing. The whole project now looks very realistic. What are they going to sell in the shop?
    Croissants or baguettes, LOL?(I'm French!)
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, love the sound of buttercups and butterflies. I think this shop is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed following your project. It's given me many ideas for my room box. Lovely project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a lovely little project and it's amazing how much detail can be added to something so small. I can see why you would spin out the last few tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m Артур Борис a resident/citizen of the Republic Of Russian. I’m 52 years of age, an entrepreneur/businessman. I once had difficulties in financing my project/business, if not for a good friend of mine who introduced me to Mr Benjamin Lee to get a loan worth $250,000 USD from his company. When i contacted them it took just five working days to get my loan process done and transferred to my account. Even with a bad credit history, they still offer their service to you. They also offer all kinds of loan such as business loans, home loans, personal loans, car loans. I don’t know how to thank them for what they have done for me but God will reward them according to his riches in glory. If you need an urgent financial assistance contact them today via email lfdsloans@outlook.com  WhatsApp information...+1-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete