Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bottle Cap Footstools

I always save bottle caps. I started collecting them to send micro swap items safely, but it's been a while since the last swap, and my collection is getting a bit large. The other night, I remembered using bottle caps to make footstools as a kid. I had to give it another try.
The bottle caps I had were large, about an inch across, and 1/2 inch deep, so I cut it down to about 1/4 inch high using old scissors, then sanded the cut edge. An adult should definitely do the cutting! Stuff the cap with cotton balls, until they make a nice puffy seat. Cut a large circle of fabric (printed cottons hide glue spots pretty well), and cut rays from the outer edge inwards towards the center. Put glue around the plastic sides of the bottle cap, and then cover the cap with your fabric circle. Don't worry if glue shows around the sides, you will cover that with trim. Secure the fabric with an elastic band, and let it dry. When it is dry, trim away excess fabric, remove the rubber band, and add trim. I'm fond of embroidered ribbon or crocheted lace for this part, but any heavier weight wide trim will work.
Flip the stool over, and glue feet to the bottom (which is the old top of the bottle cap). I used wood turnings, but small beads will work as well. The finished effect is always "cute" rather than "elegant", but they are a fun rainy day project.

5 comments:

  1. How fun!! I love them! -ara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I will give them a try. I always look at things differently now I am making minis. I think "there must be something useful I could do with this." Usually it just sits there for a while before I throw it out though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, I have the same problem- only I tend to hoard multiples. I have an entire bag full of these caps, for example. Maybe I should make an Ottoman Empire :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these would make cute little pin cushions too

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need a wee pet sleeping on top! ♥️

    ReplyDelete