Friday, October 7, 2011

A Big (Micro) Project

Back in June I shared this 1/144th scale garden cottage which I made with Nell Corkin at the Guild School. The week was a lot of fun, and I went home really wanting to do more in the scale.
 
A few weekends ago, I did!  I decided to make another shed structure, because I wasn't confident I could build on my own. I also worried that the wood I used was not as sturdy as the stuff we used in class, so I wanted to keep the structure extra small to avoid problems.
I'm still working on the landscaping. The foam that Nell provided for grass and plantings had a nice range of colors, but mine is not as well mixed. It's slow going, because I really have to hunt for the bits with the right color!
  The bench out front is actually painted a sunny yellow, and then heavily weathered. I've added a few pots of flowers, but I still need to build up some of the bushes.
 I added a flat trellis with yellow roses along the left wall. This was a much quicker build than the freestanding one we made in the class.

I originally thought I might add a second floor crawlspace to the structure. But when it was time, I chickened out .
 On the right I added a big dresser. I had a difficult time figuring out what to put over here, since there was a lot of wall space but the piece had to be very narrow. I actually built this hutch as an experiment before I began the house, but it ended up fitting perfectly!
 On the right side is a glass bowl filled with yellow roses  from outside. The painting above the table is a micro watercolour of sunflowers I painted a few years ago. You can see more of them here.

10 comments:

  1. Both of your 1: 144 scale pieces are FANTASTIC! I would love to learn the techniques you did for aging them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! The house is a dream, Eliza! One day, I try to do with courage one of these for me!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was brave enough to try making some-thing like these beautiful houses. They are just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. son maravillosos tus trabajos, que maravillosos¡¡¡
    Besos
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. It came out so incredible! I fell in love with Nell's little house and you have really made something so special! How wonderful for you that you were at Castine!!! Must have been a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what perfect little houses.
    Great compliment !!

    Hugs Mieke xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great artwork! the house is so beautiful! and those tiny tables and chairs, etc, you have done an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so lovely house, I love this work!!
    hugs
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Great project, so much detail in such a tiny piece of work.

    ReplyDelete