Friday, December 2, 2011

Painted things and Pencils

I've been having more fun with a few quick repainting projects. This bowl started out white, but I painted the inside and top band shell pink. For some reason, I'm really drawn to pink at the moment. I keep painting things pink, buying myself pink shirts, and I even framed a watercolor with a bright pink mat. You can see that I used quick dots and dashes to paint this, so it didn't take long at all.

 This little guy on the other hand, took a bit longer. It would have been easier to paint him in disassembled pieces, but he was already glued together very strongly. I tried to use old colors on him, but looking at the photograph I think I could have done some real aging to him as well.

This was the last bit of work. I've been feeling guilty that I haven't done much with my draw plate (from Micro Mark.) I don't like tools to sit in a drawer for months on end! 
So I pulled out the smallest basswood strip I had on hand. In my experience, it's definitely better to use long, soft pieces of wood with this tool. I always break the wood several times in the process of pulling it through the holes, no matter what I do though!
These extra thin dowels are perfect for miniature pencils! I still need to finish detailing them. They need the little metal caps that hold the erasers still, and I want to dip the points in black paint. I went with traditional yellow pencils this time, but it would be easy to make them in any color.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm going through a pink phase(?) too! Funny how that goes. I love your bowl and little Humpty Dumpty. I need to try to make some minis with Fimo and then use paint to try to get the porcelain effect you're getting. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! The porcelain effect is very good, congratulations! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Eliza,
    I have to say your skill is impressive. What a beautiful job. Great work!
    All the best,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete