Monday, August 27, 2012

A Before and After Upholstery Project

A while ago, I picked up this little wooden booth and its matching table. I didn't notice the signature until I got it home, but it turned out to be a Mark Stockton set. The piece was nicely made, but there were a few problems. The wood was terribly dried out, and the sides of the booth had out of scale wood grain. But a little lemon oil fixed the first problem, and I thought I'd be able to easily create tufted leather cushions to cover the big grain.
I originally was planning to cover back and seat of the booth with brown tufted leather. But while I was going through my leather supplies, I found this dark red (faux) leather which seemed more interesting than plain brown.  A little red leather goes a long way, and by the time I had the seat backs finished, I was questioning the seat cushions.
A few weeks before, I'd received some silk scraps. It just so happened that one of those pieces perfectly matched the leather, and the over sized pattern was exactly the width of the seat.   Last of all, I finished the outer walls of the booth, which had more graining to hide. I added some board and batten to the backs of the seats using strip wood, painted it out in a somber shade of brown, and called it a day.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos of the outer sides of the booth, but I'll slip after photos  of the board and batten in to the next post.

7 comments:

  1. The finished booth looks great! I love the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a wonderful job of upholstering the booth, and I love the red leather back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work, Eliza, the booth looks great!
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing Eliza.
    Greetings Dorien.

    ReplyDelete