Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hundreds of Tiles Later...


Last time I promised to show my dairy project when I finished the tiling the walls. Well, it only took me about two weeks and 650 tiles!  Let's just say that I won't be using tiles again anytime soon.The tiles I chose aren't really appropriate for a dairy (they are much too elaborate) but I figured that for all the work of the room, I might as well use tiles I really liked.
There's still a lot to be done in the room, but the basic shell is finished. 
Please forgive me if this post is a little picture heavy. I'm so happy to be done with the tiles! I made so many tiles I thought for sure there would be extras, but I only had four border tiles left over at the end.

The stone floor is made of paper clay. It's looking a little too brown with all the blue and white. I may repaint it a little more grey.
I was very worried about keeping the tiles straight, so I tiled the walls first,and added the floor after. I made the mistake of gluing the door in first, and it ended up a little too far to the left, which made problems with the fit of the tiles. You can see that I had to add a tiny strip of partial tiles to the right hand corner to fill in the gap!
I'm still working on the door. I just repainted it slightly creamier white, and still need to add some subtle aging. I also need to add some sort of door latch or knob. The hinges I made out of thick paper. I was going to paint them to look like iron, but once I got the stone floor in I thought black hinges would look too dark in the room.
I also used my brother's pocket knife (don't tell him!) to widen the cracks between the boards. The "moulding" I used to make the door casing is just two pieces of layered cardboard.

The gallery room box I took apart to house my dairy had a really terrible gold frame. It was painted three different shades of gold, some matte and some shiny. But the paint job was hiding a decently shaped frame. So I taped off the inner most bands of beading, protected the inside of the box with a  piece of cardboard, and sprayed the frame mat black. I couldn't believe the difference it made!
Before...
After!

14 comments:

  1. The room with the tiles looks so beautiful. You have done a great job.
    Hug from Germany,
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks really wonderful! The tiles were well worth all your effort! Beautiful work! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Color me amazed--but then, I always am by your work. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A completely wonderful job, well done. All those tiles!! The frame if perfect now too.
    Can't wait to see more...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work Eliza, your perseverance really paid off, the room looks just great and the black frame sure finishes it off well. The floor color, I would first put in the furniture and then decide if it still is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Eliza,
    Never, ever apologize for posting too many pictures...especially when the work is so successful! You did a tremendoius job and it looks wonderful. Congratulations.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  7. There can never be enough pictures! I love the tiles. You did such a great job making and setting them in place...BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your wonderful tiles. Great work.
    Kiss Faby

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree - never enough pictures! You've done a sterling job with all those tiles AND the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your tiles, and the above desk is also lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Eliza! What beautiful tiles and so much work: it seems your patience is endless ;)! The frame is much better now. I like the paintwork on your desk in your latest post too.
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my goodness, I love your work! Those tiles are so gorgeous. What a beautiful blue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my goodness, I love your work! Those tiles are so gorgeous. What a beautiful blue!

    ReplyDelete