Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Two Before and After Projects

It's been a while since my last post! I got my laptop back a few days ago, and have been slowly catching up with everything I've missed over the last few weeks.
I thought I'd share two upholtery projects I did recently. The first is the desk chair in the parlor. It's a bespaq chair that was upholstered in a thick green and cream woven fabric. I actually quite liked the fabric of the chair, but it always seemed a bit pale for the room. You can see that fabric and chair below.


Last summer, a local decorating store gave me several old fabric sample books. I found a brown silk in one of them which I used for the chair. There was barely enough fabric to cover it, but I managed!

The second piece was this sofa from the master bedroom. I bought it years ago thinking I'd recover it. I had several problems with the original upholstery: I wasn't fond of the contrast between the dark wood and the light fabric, the white was a bit shopworn, and there was actually a jacquard pattern woven into the fabric which was subtle but very out of scale. It was in the parlor (which is directly below), but it always seemed a bit big in there. As soon as I moved it upstairs, I knew the fabric I wanted to use.




This is one of my favorite fabrics. Though the fabric looks like a pink and cream stripe from a distance, there are also narrow dark brown and pale orange stripes beside the pink stripes which make things a bit more interesting.
By the way, this one isn't quite finished. Only two of the outer side panels are glued in. I still need to cover the one for the back. It will also need to be trimmed with fine cording to hide the bottom edge of the seat cushion. Have you noticed my big mistake yet? I got the orientation of the fabric mixed up at one point. On the seat and right side, the brown stripe is to the right of the pink stripe. On the other two, the brown is to the left! It's been driving me crazy ever since I first noticed!

10 comments:

  1. Great job. You made this beautiful furniture look even better! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que fantastico trabajos has hecho en esos muebles.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eliza, I really love the striped fabric on that settee! It came out gorgeous and is perfect for that room!

      Delete
  3. I think those are much better choices for your chair and sofa. You did a great job getting the fabrics on. No one would have ever noticed the strip issue if you hadn't told on yourself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Eliza,
    This is looking wonderful. You're lucky to get those sample books and that it fits for your doll house.
    Hugs
    Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the striped fabric with the flowery wallpaper, a perfect combination! Yes I can imagine the stripe mistake bothers you because you know it is there. If you have some fabric left I would redo it, you will keep noticing it!
    I like the embroidered cushion as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful work. I like the fabrics.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Eliza,
    I am very impressed by your skill. Great choice of fabrics and your workmanship is perfect!
    All the best,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello... I'm your newest follower, I'd love to invite you over to visit and follow me when you get a chance.
    Love your blog.... minis are the best, aren't they?
    Have the best of the best day.
    xoso
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifulchoice of fabric, especially the sofa, wouldn't I love one in my bedroom, and wouldn't I love a bedroom large enough to take one!

    ReplyDelete