Monday, December 3, 2012

A Gift For Mom

Every year, I try to make one or two miniature gifts for Mom. This one is a project I've had in mind for several years. Mom loves dummy boards in both real life and miniature. We also have a really sweet English Cocker Spaniel who loves to sleep in front of a fire. Sometimes she curls up so close to the fireplace that she's nearly lying in the coals! For a few months, I toyed with the idea of commissioning a dummy board from Pastmastery, but just as I was ready to commit, they announced they would no longer be making miniature dummy boards.
The other day, I finally decided to try painting one myself. Since I couldn't get the dog to remain in the correct position for long (she's getting old, and kept putting her head down to sleep) I had to do the initial sketch from a photograph. I painted her with acrylic paints on thin birch plywood.

There are still a few touch ups I need to do, but most of the painting is done. I added a toothpick to the photo above for scale.


Here's the back, showing the triangular support piece. I still need to sign and date it, something I always forget to do. It doesn't matter too much when things we make are just staying in our own collections, but we have to double check that everything is signed before each show!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic and beautiful idea.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful and even more precious because it is a very special gift. Your mother is very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift. I know your mother will absolutely love it! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. superbe ! Enfant, j'ai eu un cocker Spaniel, une chienne adorable. Elle était née le même jour que moi.
    rosethé-Minima

    ReplyDelete