Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Holiday Tradition, and a Before and After

I've decided I'm keeping the smaller tree in the parlor this year, and the larger one will stay in storage.With that choice made, I really need to find/make a few more gifts for under the tree.
To fill some of the space around the tree, I started  pulling a few toys from around the dollhouse. This little cart is great for holding some of my favorite dolls from Lucy Coles. I have an unconscionable number of these little dolls- and I love every single one! My mother gave me a miniature doll as my Christmas gift every year for most of my childhood. Every year I'd have to hunt all over the (big) tree for the tiny little  hidden somewhere in its branches. The doll
The cart is a plastic toy which I repainted. Here's the before picture of the cart. It wasn't bad, actually, pretty good from a distance. I liked how delicate it was, but the sheen of the plastic bothered me.

Here's a better view of the cart after. I primed the piece with grey, and dry brushed over the top to look like flaking white paint over weathered wood.  I used metallic silver and rust highlights on the wheels. I think the handle still needs a sprig of greenery, and a big bow.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Eliza,
    That is just lovely. The tree looks wonderful! I lvoe the ornaments. Great job on the cart. You made it look very realistic!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat een mooie boom..maar het allermooist vind ik de kar met popjes.

    Groeten Xandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scene you created is really gorgeous.
    What attractive, it looks just real.
    The tree, the toys. the dolls, are wonderful.
    I still don't know how you can buy those dolls from Rosa.
    I envy you with such beautiful miniatures.

    Have a very nice Christmas, kind regards Alexandra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eliza,
    I love what you have done with the little wagon, and your whole Christmas display. I am so pleased that you still love your dolls. It was always a pleasure to see you and your mother at shows.
    Merry Christmas,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete