Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Canopy for the Nursery

I haven't had a chance to work on the shop for a while.  If all goes well, Mom and I will be making a trip to our local-ish dollhouse shop this weekend, where I'm hoping to find the iron railing. In the mean time, I thought I'd share a project I worked on a few months ago. I've had this Bespaq crib for years in an undressed state. I finally decided it was time to do something about its bare canopy.
 The nursery is a long, dark room at the back of my house. It was originally meant to be the bathroom.  My uncle, who built my dollhouse, covered the walls with plastic tile. I guess he really wanted it to stand up to a lot of play, since we literally had to melt the plastic off when the house was refurbished. 
I raided Mom's doll-making supplies for sheer white batiste for the canopy top, and found some vintage embroidered pieces in my own stash to make the curtains. I still need to make a frill to go around the wooden canopy top. 

There's barely room for the nursemaid! I love how kind she looks. For more details about the nursery, you can read about the curtains here, the bookcase here, and the cheap metal spoon I reworked here.


6 comments:

  1. The crib is beautiful especially the scalloped front!The canopy really sets it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elizabeth,
    THe canopy is just beautiful. You got it to hang really well and it adds a nice bright touch to the dark piece of furniture. Every element of the nursery is enchanting. Just like the nursemaid it looks so soft and delicate. Beautiful work.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crib is beautiful and the nursemaid does look kindly. She is beautifully dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It's perfect! And, yes, the nursery maid doll has a lovely, kind face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely room, I can just imagine keeping the baby there with the window up so the little one can get some fresh air. it's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pins on the nursemaid's uniform is a brilliant detail!

    ReplyDelete