Friday, May 29, 2009

Phoebe's room

This is the last room in the attic, Phoebe's room. Phoebe the maid is named after a character in Louisa May Alcott's books Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom. Her room is really far too cosy for a servant, but I can't seem to stop adding little things. Here is Phoebe's dresser. Notice the glove peeking out from the drawer and the hairpins scattered about? There is also a scrimshaw busk, which was a gift from Phoebe's sailor swain. I plan to someday replace the big wooden drawer pulls with smaller glass knobs, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I really wanted a very plain brass bed for this room, and had the worst luck trying to find a bed without ornamentation. Finally found one on a trip to England. Someday, Phoebe will have a crazy-quilt for her bed, but that's on the back burner for now.

The gorgeous sailor's valentine was made by Bone-Art Miniature Scrimshaw. The sampler is a recent purchase. It was mixed in with other samplers with very traditional, serious sayings, so I don't think it was intended to be funny, but it makes me laugh all the same.
The wallpaper in this room is quite possibly my favorite wallpaper ever. I don't remember who made it, but there were only a few old sheets left when I bought it. Honestly, I wish that I could have this wallpaper in real life!







2 comments:

  1. I like Phoebe's room! That sampler made me laugh too. I work with a group of men, and they do test my patience at times. I need that sampler in full scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete