Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Music Room

This room is the only room in the house which even slightly resembles my original vision of what it would look like. I pictured far less white, and quite a bit more gold, but overall I'm happy with how things have turned out. This room is on the second floor, on the far left. The violin on the chair is a new(ish) acquisition. I've had a plastic violin there for several years, and always looked longingly at the better-made miniature instruments. I managed to snag this one for a much lower price than normal at a recent (local!) show, and I'm thrilled to finally have a good one. I played violin for several years, and was sorry to give it up, so it was important to have one in my dollhouse.

The screen behind the chair has etched glass panels. My mom built it for me, several years ago, because we simply had to figure out how to display the panels. The shop that sold them (now out of business) only had these three left. There are two with urns and plants, while the center panel has a very intricate cherub design. If anyone knows who might have made these etched glass pieces, I'd love to know!

Mom also made the two ferns in this room.


The chandelier is from Mr. Kay. However, when I saw it in the room I thought it looked a bit bare, so I pulled the elastic out of a rhinestone bracelet and draped it evenly over the three arms.
This little musician is a very new member of the dollhouse. I've tried to restrain myself to only a few animals, but I really couldn't resist him. The odd thing is, I don't know any real life Dalmatians, but all the other dogs in my dollhouse (there are three others, an English Cocker Spaniel and two Beddlington Terriors) were meant to be real dogs that I know and love.

I'm going to try to put up a few more photos of this room later.

3 comments:

  1. So adorable! I love the puppy at the piano! Reminds me of my parents dog!! Can't wait to see more -ara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely room! I played violin, too, and the cheaper mini violins always bother me a bit, especially the bows, as they're often out of proportion. Yours looks very nice; I'll have to try the shows.

    Where, oh where, did you get that piano? I've been looking all over for a square piano, and can't seem to find one. I really, really like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You!
    The bows usually bother me too, so much so that had a plastic violin in there before, just because the bow was the best (inexpensive) version I could find.
    The piano came from Eileen Godfrey Miniatures. She has a website, www.eileengodfreyminiatures.com but I don't think she's had anything like mine for several years. It's definitely an older piece and parts are out of scale, but really nicely made all the same.

    ReplyDelete