Monday, April 29, 2013

A Close Shave

This is the latest doll Mom has dressed. A few years ago, my brother became interested in the 1930s. An offshoot of that was that he started dressing in 1930s style clothing.  He began shaving with a straight razor, wearing suspenders, and learned to tie a bow tie. Needless to say, he had a lot of input in this doll!
Though Mom usually makes her own leather shoes, but this time she bought them from the Doll's Cobbler. The rug is a leftover from a bunch Mom made for her cottage, using upholstery fabric samples.
Mom used a pair of my brother's fishtail back trousers to draft her mini pattern.
The Bespaq shaving stand came from my dollhouse. It was one of the first "adult quality" miniatures I received in my early teenage years, when my miniatures were transitioning from toy to collection. An irresistible deal on a stunning shaving set by St. Leger made this stand redundant in my dollhouse, so I was happy for Mom to give it purpose again!

9 comments:

  1. De pop is prachtig...maar de scheertafel vind ik ook erg mooi. Mooie scene op de foto.

    Groeten Xandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, what a creative family! That has to be fun! The doll is truly authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks amazing- I love his suspenders and the details are incredible ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom is a good seamstress.
    Your Bespaq shaving stand is perfect and elegant.
    Bye, Faby

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the doll and his costume and the shaving stand is a lovely piece. A neat scene.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eliza! What a great costume designer your mother is! The pants with the suspenders/ braces are wonderful and I like the little adjustable slide buckle that is feature on the front of them. They and the trousers are perfect in every way! I love the expression on the doll's face too. He has a marvelous little shaving mirror before him so I wonder why he hesitates?

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eliza, your Mom did a great job: the clothing is really 1930s style! The shaving stand is wonderful, love the face of the man :D It seems he has a bit of a twinkle in his eyes?
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree she did a wonderful job on him and I love the shaving kit!

    ReplyDelete