Friday, January 25, 2013

All That Glitters is Not Silver

My dining room has a secret. I have a small collection of sterling silver displayed on the sideboard. But right in in the center sits a big fat fake. My silver pheasant is made out of plastic! 
I found the pheasant in a basket of junk at a local dollhouse store. When I bought it, it had a heavy brass base that was way too big for 1/12th scale. I assumed, because of the weight, that the bird was made of some type of metal too. When I finally managed to pop it off the base, I was shocked to find out it was lightweight plastic. It photographs a little darker than the sterling silver, but it's a perfect match in real life. Sometimes a good fake is all that's needed!

7 comments:

  1. Hello Eliza,
    That is a great faus silver piece. You absolutely cannot tell the difference.
    Wonderful fin.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and you really can't see it's faux. Love the wallpaper on the wall! gr. AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plastic? It looks silver. Wonderful piece!
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks real from here! Great work - and great find. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How Lovely! My Father has a pair of these on hide mantle piece!
    I guess they come in all sizes! LOL
    It looks perfect
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look real! It's always such a shock when plastic looks exactly like a natural material.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you hadn't said, I would never have guessed. It's a nice looking little piece.

    ReplyDelete