Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Winter Blooms

I've been playing around with some velvet paper and a few little punches. A few months ago, I bought some pretty vintage velvet flowers to add to my (real) winter hat. Seeing those little pansies again, I thought it might be fun to make some in miniature.

I only had white velvet paper on hand, but as you can see, I didn't let that stop me! Through a bit of experimentation, I figured out that the best way to paint the paper (without squashing the velvet) was to dip the paper into watery washes of paint, letting it soak through and stain the paper. I raided my collection of crystals for a little extra sparkle.

8 comments:

  1. What a creative idea! I love the antique cards the millinery flower embellishments are offered on too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Creative idea and I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look absolutely beautiful, just what we need in grey January!

    Jonquil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gosh, Eliza, it looks awesome! I have been wondering about coloring velvet paper, so I am going to try your paint trick, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bellissime creazioni ..!!!
    Happy New Year ..!!!
    elvira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Eliza for sharing this wonderful tip !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look lovely and I like the little cards too.

    ReplyDelete