Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Little Things That Sparkle, Part 2

 
I'm having a lot of fun making fancy accessories lately.
 
I started out painting the vanity sage green, and added a few painted roses to the drawers. Now that I've got an idea of the finished look, I'll touch up the color of the roses, making them closer to the deep red I used for the accessories.


I make almost everything on my vanities. The only things on this one that I used just as I bought them were the silver comb (to the left of the necklace) and brown gloves.
I think a lot about color when I put together miniatures. I get nervous about making colors too coordinated, since that can look a little staged. But lots of random colors just look chaotic. To create a little order, I try to throw in a few "surprise" colors, and repeat each color three times. You can see that the bright blue of the little box is repeated on the top of the cold cream jar and the parasol of the figurine. The pink silk of the necklace tray is repeated in the label of the box on the left, and in the postcard of Notre Dame. The white flower is picked up in the lace runner and the bride's dress in the photograph. It's not a perfect rule, but it definitely helps!
 
I go back and forth on the perfume bottles. Sometimes I love to make them, and other times I think they are the most tedious project ever!  Because of that, I tend to make as many perfume bottles as I can when I'm in the mood.


 
 

The little crystal candle holder was an afterthought. I made it out of stacked beads and jewelry findings, with a clay candle. I only had one each of the base and top brass findings in my supplies. It was a minor miracle that I was able to finish the candle stick, since I kept dropping it and losing those precious jewelry findings! The handbag isn't such a bright red in real life. The vase photographed a little oddly too. Both are closer to the red dress of the figurine.

10 comments:

  1. Your fancy accessories are gorgeous! I'm working on similar items at the moment and have been completely inspired by yours, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Eliza,
    It's a wonderful picture all those wonderful accessories.
    Greetings Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Eliza,
    I think your accessories are perfectly balanced. Color combinations in real life and in miniature are completely different. Your items are stunning, everything stands out, but all is harmonious.
    Excellent work.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely selection and well done on making them yourself - something to aspire to, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unos detalles muy bonitos y armonioso, felicidades:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like color sage green you used and delicate roses. Thank you for tips on how to combining colors. This tiny lady with parasol is amazing, do you did it yourself?
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the details and small bits are sometimes a pain to make but they produce the biggest results in terms of rewarding the eyes.

    It is almost a game, the smaller the item, the bigger the internal gratification you get for making it - odd isn't it?

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like color and designs of the furniture. The accessories are perfectly distributed.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lovel display of accessories on a beautifully painted dressing table. Great work!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do such a Marvelous job with the color balancing! Thank you for revealing your "secret" ;)! And to think you made almost everything! I LOVE your arrangements! Do you glue everything down? I have a very hard time making myself do that...!

    ReplyDelete